Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 07:56:28PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 7:38 PM,  <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyway, I don't see how either "boot loader" or "boot splash" theming are
> >> related to GNOME. Plymouth is unrelated to the DE.
> >

> > It's simply not true. Upstream's designs call for a well-integrated user
> > experience where the noise background begins on the bootloader theme,
> > continues through plymouth, and arrives at the login screen.
>
> Which part is not true? I'm about to laugh at the idea of upstream
> GNOME having an opinion over a metric butttonne of work they've not
> put any effort into building, and have no real claim over.

The part where you assume that just because something doesn't
originate from the *.gnome.org infrastructure or is not explicitly
branded as GNOME, is somethng that GNOME didn't put any effort into
building.

See:
https://www.gnome.org/technologies/

There are a lot of things on that page that are deliberately not kept
on the *.gnome.org infrastructure and not branded as GNOME to
encourage broader adoption, but are/were very much conceived,
promoted, developed and moved forward by GNOME contributors to solve
problems faced by GNOME. All that amounts to some very serious effort.

Regardless of whether Plymouth falls into that category or not, the
fact that GNOME contributors went out to work on solutions that go
beyond benefitting the immediate GNOME community, does give GNOME the
moral authority to have a say in how the whole user experience should
be like.

Also, Fedora Workstation should "take responsibility for the user's
experience". It is not a matter of theming the boot splash in a
certain way, and the log in screen in another way, and so on. All the
pieces are, and should be treated as, part of a single coherent
entity.