Re: How come fsck still kicks in and reports major errors with Ext3?

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 04:03:19PM -0500, Darrell Michaud
<dmichaud@wsi.com> wrote:

> That's not exactly what I meant.. What I meant was that if you umount
> uncleanly in Redhat 8.0, when you reboot it appears runs a FORCED fsck
> on the root mount point "/".

It does not.

If it happens again, please look at the messages from e2fsck.  There
are really only three cases --- either the fs is marked for forced
fsck every N mounts (or M days), or it is marked as having an error,
or it is actually ext2.

Because /etc is not available when the root fs gets mounted
(obviously!), the list of mounts in /etc/mtab sometimes gets the fs
type wrong for the root filesystem.  Check /proc/mounts (ie. the
kernel's authoritative data) to see if you are getting root really
mounted as ext2 or ext3.  If you converted the root fs yourself from
ext2 to ext3, then it may be that you have not rerun mkinitrd and so
you are still getting root mounted as ext2.

Cheers,
 Stephen