Re: How come fsck still kicks in and reports major errors with Ext3?

That's not exactly what I meant.. What I meant was that if you umount
uncleanly in Redhat 8.0, when you reboot it appears runs a FORCED fsck
on the root mount point "/". It takes a while, much longer than a simple
journal replay. The first few times I noticed this I thought I had
accidently formatted "/" as ext2, but it was in fact ext3.

I admit that I don't know why this happens. It may be that each time I
noticed this behavior there really was some error that caused the normal
journal replay to fail. I haven't spent a lot of time testing redhat 8.0
in this area, but that behavior stood out like a sore thumb.

It was as if they had replaced their 7.3 question "filesystems were
umounted uncleanly, press y to run forced fsck" boot question with an
automatic fsck -f.