How come fsck still kicks in and reports major errors with Ext3?

Greetings.

  Total newbie with Ext3.  I selected when I upgraded my system to
RH7.2.  I upgraded my system again to RH8.0.  Here is some info:

[root@world root]#  cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/hdd1 /mnt/genericdata1 ext2 rw 0 0

  Ok, so it seams that my / is Ext3, as specified in /etc/fstab:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1

  Now, why is that when the power went off and later came back, I had to
go for an hour with fsck trying to fix the HD?  Isn't journaling
supposed to prevent this?  I had no feeling that the journal was
sollicitated at boot time when the system detected errors.  Is my Ext3
properly setup?  Is this normal?  Where resides the journal BTW?  Are
there config files for Ext3?

  This is probably a FAQ, but since this group does not have an archive
(I have not seen the link on RH's page if there is one), I could not
find the info I am looking for.  No luck with Google either.

Sincerely,
Hans Deragon