Re: How come fsck still kicks in and reports major errors with Ext3?

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 04:41:42PM -0400, Hans Deragon (imap) wrote:

>  Now, why is that when the power went off and later came back, I had to
> go for an hour with fsck trying to fix the HD?  Isn't journaling
> supposed to prevent this?  I had no feeling that the journal was
> sollicitated at boot time when the system detected errors.  Is my Ext3
> properly setup?  Is this normal?  Where resides the journal BTW?  Are
> there config files for Ext3?

For safety reasons, an ext3 filesystem has to be fsck'd every so many
mounts, or every so many days. You can adjust the times with tune2fs, but
it is recommended to fsck them one or two times a year just to be sure
nothing has been corrupted.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@attglobal.net)
-- http://lizw090-016.resnet.wisc.edu/~skylar/, http://www.earlham.edu/~thompsk/