Re: How come fsck still kicks in and reports major errors with Ext3?

Thanks for the help regarding the setting of the 6th field of /etc/fstab.

Yet, I would like someone to explain me what I should see if I suddenly
shut the computer down and restart it?  Will I see some message during
the bootstrap that says that my drive was not shutdown gracefully and it
must be repaired via the journal?  Or is it fsck itself that uses the
journal to correct the system?

My point it that I do not see any difference between ext2 and ext3
behavior.  When my power went down and later came back, I had to work
with fsck to fix my ext3 drive the same way when it was ext2.
 Journaling under Ext3 is either so invisible that users believe its not
on, or in my case, it actually is not on.  Are there any config files?
 Where is the journal stored?  Is there a command to retrieve the size
of the journal?

>>But I assure you that fsck kicked in for / which is configured ext3 as
>>far as I know.  I had to fix it manually and I specifically had to do
>>"fsck -y /dev/hda1", hda1 being the partition where / is found.
>>

>Do you have ext2 compiled in to the kernel?
>
>If so, do you specify on the command line that the root filesystem is
>ext3?
>
>If not, that may be the cause of the problem. Check /proc/mounts and see
>what it says the drive is mounted as...

[root@world root]# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0