Re: How come fsck still kicks in and reports major errors withExt3?

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Hans Deragon wrote:
> Bryan Kadzban wrote:
>> Hans Deragon (imap) wrote:
>>>
>>> /dev/hdd1 /mnt/genericdata1 ext2 rw 0 0

[...]

> Nope.  Actually you are bringing another point.  That device seams to
> never being checked.  I was discovered it was corrupted, but never
> during the initialization process did fsck kicked in for this drive.

It's never checked because the 'pass number' (sixth) field is specified
as zero, or 'never check'.

You want this set to pass 2, or pass 1 if it's needed to start booting
multi-user mode.

> But I assure you that fsck kicked in for / which is configured ext3 as
> far as I know.  I had to fix it manually and I specifically had to do
> "fsck -y /dev/hda1", hda1 being the partition where / is found.

Do you have ext2 compiled in to the kernel?

If so, do you specify on the command line that the root filesystem is
ext3?

If not, that may be the cause of the problem. Check /proc/mounts and see
what it says the drive is mounted as...

     Daniel

--
...Two and two are four. Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five.
Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try