Re: How come fsck still kicks in and reports major errors with Ext3?

Hans Deragon wrote:
> Thanks for the help regarding the setting of the 6th field of /etc/fstab.
>
> Yet, I would like someone to explain me what I should see if I suddenly
> shut the computer down and restart it?  Will I see some message during
> the bootstrap that says that my drive was not shutdown gracefully and it
> must be repaired via the journal?  Or is it fsck itself that uses the
> journal to correct the system?

No, the kernel should replay the journal ( = repair the fs) on the first
mount of the fs if it has the flag 'needs_recovery' is set. This flag is
always set if the fs is mounted and only cleared on a clean unmount.
The message should look a bit like this:

kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.17, 10 Jan 2002 on lvm(58,0), internal journal
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.

If e2fsck is run on an unmounted fs that has 'needs_recovery' set, it
will also replay the journal.

> My point it that I do not see any difference between ext2 and ext3
> behavior.  When my power went down and later came back, I had to work
> with fsck to fix my ext3 drive the same way when it was ext2.
>  Journaling under Ext3 is either so invisible that users believe its not
> on, or in my case, it actually is not on.  Are there any config files?
>  Where is the journal stored?  Is there a command to retrieve the size
> of the journal?

What distribution are you running?

Regards,
Juri