system freezes with ext3

Hello,
I investigated newsgroups and mailinglists for aprox. 3 weeks now. But i
have not found any comment about ext3 freezing a whole system.
But:
I do have 5 ext2 partitions on my system. I  upgraded theses partitions
to ext3 with tunefs.
after mounting 1 partition as ext3 all was fine. After that i mounted
all partitions as ext3. And, after approx. 3-4 minutes my system
freezes. No mouse or keyboard input was accepted. Only the keyboard LEDS
were flashing.
Has anybody else the same expirience?
My System is a SuSE 8.1 with kernel 2.4.19

Is this a known Problem? And if not, which is the correct way of
reporting it.
Ciao,
carsten