Re: Logging issue

On 04/20/2021 09:06 AM, Daniel Ferradal wrote:
> I'm intrigued but maybe it was said but I missed it.
>
> You say you can´t do: "aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/app1, aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/app2¨
>
> Well, you can, but in the same virtualhost, and you can even point to
> multiple fpm pools for each
>
> Did you try something like this? :
>
> <Virtualhost *:port>
> Servername ip # no paths here just the ip
> Documentroot /path/to/docroot
>
> <Directory /path/to/docroot/app1>
> <FilesMatch ^/\.php>
>   SetHandler  "proxy:unix:/path/to/app1.sock|fcgi://localhost/"
>   # or SetHandler  "proxy:fcgi://localhost:9000"
> </FilesMatch>
>

> <Directory /path/to/docroot/app2>
> <FilesMatch ^/\.php>
>   SetHandler  "proxy:unix:/path/to/app2.sock|fcgi://localhost/"
>   # or SetHandler  "proxy:fcgi://localhost:9001"
> </FilesMatch>

> </VirtualHost>
>
> Or you really need two separate virtualhosts to ease the choice for
> the user just define different ports for each virtualhost and the
> corresponding Listen directives.

>>> This is because it's not applicable. The feature you're trying to use
>>> allows the server to respond two different ways to two different
>>> hostnames.
>>> Without two or more hostnames it is meaningless.

>>> The configurations for these virtual hosts would only be used if the
>>> client requests http://site1.aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/* which will never
>>> happen.

>>> Try the obscure ServerPath directive if you can't arrange for 2
>>> hostnames to resolve to your IP address.

>> Here is my current understanding after bloodying my forehead:
>>
>> My ultimate goal is to be able to run different php apps each potentially requiring its unique php version using php-fpm. I would also like so separate access and error logs by app, ie app1-access.log, app2-access.log etc.
>>
>> My original expectation was to call them through the same IP address followed by the directory of the app, ie aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/app1, aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/app2 etc. This does not work.
>>
>> My understanding is now that:
>>
>> - To use unique php versions would require separating the apps into individual VirtualHosts directives. Each VirtualHost directive can then call its unique php-fpm handler.
>>
>> - I now understand this cannot be done using just an IP address in the VirtualHost directive followed by app1, app2 etc. A domain name must be used.
>>
>> - There are workarounds which however do /not/ allow for different VirtualHost directives which my objective would requires, such as using ProxyPass, ProxyPass and Alias. Thus not a useable workaround.
>>
>> Therefore, it seems I need to pivot and use a common domain name instead of IP address:
>>
>> - Create multiple VirtualHost directives where the ServerName would be app1.domain.com, app2.domain.com. These can then be mapped to different directory trees.
>>
>> - This should allow for using a different php-fpm handler in each VirtualHost directive.

> [...]
Thank you for your suggestion. Although I would be the only person administering the server, splitting the settings for different apps into individual conf files would be for my convenience.

However, I do have a desire to have separate error and access files for each app and when I tried your suggestion with one single virtualhost conf file, apachectl configtest complained when I had both an ErrorLog and a CustomLog directive inside each Directory directive in the single VirtualHost conf file.

Hence, unless I misunderstood something, your suggestion is therefore unfortunately a no-go...