Re: Logging issue

> Date: Saturday, April 17, 2021 17:37:43 -0400
> From: H <agents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Yes, I (believe) I understand and find many examples how to
> configure virtual name hosts when you have a domain name. BUT, I
> have yet to find any examples where this works with /one/ single IP
> address rather than a domain name.
>
> The former pertains to defining various virtual hosts such as
> site1.thisismydomain.com, site2.thisismydomain.com where the domain
> name is the same.
>
> However, my current setup does not have a domain name associated
> with it, only an IP address. Thus the virtual hosts I am trying to
> work would be site1.aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd and site2.aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd where
> the IP address is the same.
>
> Note that the sites are on an external server and accessed
> remotely, not on a local computer, and need to be accessed by
> multiple computers.

That's because it doesn't:

  > BUT, I have yet to find any examples where this works
  > with /one/ single IP address rather than a domain name.

In the documentation I pointed to previously:

  <https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/vhosts/name-based.html>

the first line has ...

   IP-based virtual hosts use the IP address of the connection to
   determine the correct virtual host to serve. Therefore you need
   to  have a separate IP address for each host.

An IPnumber is just that -- (in IPv4) just the 4 octets, nothing
else. I.e., you can't append or prepend anything to that. [a port
number can be included as indicated in the documentation, but that's
a separate issue.]

  > ... I am trying to work would be site1.aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

The apache server has to have *something* to use to differentiate
among the virtual hosts that are configured.

  - In the name-based approach, the IP number is the same but
    the FQDN (the "domain" doesn't have to be the same) will be
    different for each virtual host (any number of FQDNs can point
    to a single IPnumber).

  - With IP-based virtual hosting, *each* virtual host has to have
    a different IPnumber.

Please be certain to read the documentation carefully. When showing
examples of code or configurations you should include real examples
where you have not unnecessarily obscured what you are doing. With
something like a virtual host setup where how the first differs from
the second matters, you should show more than just the first.