Re: Logging issue

On 04/17/2021 06:09 PM, Eric Covener wrote:
>> Yes, I (believe) I understand and find many examples how to configure virtual name hosts when you have a domain name. BUT, I have yet to find any examples where this works with /one/ single IP address rather than a domain name.
> This is because it's not applicable. The feature you're trying to use
> allows the server to respond two different ways to two different
> hostnames.
> Without two or more hostnames it is meaningless.
>
>> The former pertains to defining various virtual hosts such as site1.thisismydomain.com, site2.thisismydomain.com where the domain name is the same.
>>
>> However, my current setup does not have a domain name associated with it, only an IP address. Thus the virtual hosts I am trying to work would be site1.aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd and site2.aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd where the IP address is the same.
> The configurations for these virtual hosts would only be used if the
> client requests http://site1.aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/* which will never
> happen.
>
>> Note that the sites are on an external server and accessed remotely, not on a local computer, and need to be accessed by multiple computers.
>>
>> Is this perhaps not possible??
> Try the obscure ServerPath directive if you can't arrange for 2
> hostnames to resolve to your IP address.

Here is my current understanding after bloodying my forehead:

My ultimate goal is to be able to run different php apps each potentially requiring its unique php version using php-fpm. I would also like so separate access and error logs by app, ie app1-access.log, app2-access.log etc.

My original expectation was to call them through the same IP address followed by the directory of the app, ie aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/app1, aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/app2 etc. This does not work.

My understanding is now that:

- To use unique php versions would require separating the apps into individual VirtualHosts directives. Each VirtualHost directive can then call its unique php-fpm handler.

- I now understand this cannot be done using just an IP address in the VirtualHost directive followed by app1, app2 etc. A domain name must be used.

- There are workarounds which however do /not/ allow for different VirtualHost directives which my objective would requires, such as using ProxyPass, ProxyPass and Alias. Thus not a useable workaround.

Therefore, it seems I need to pivot and use a common domain name instead of IP address:

- Create multiple VirtualHost directives where the ServerName would be app1.domain.com, app2.domain.com. These can then be mapped to different directory trees.

- This should allow for using a different php-fpm handler in each VirtualHost directive.

Hopefully I made myself understandable but is my understanding correct?