Re: Can we get a zlib update?

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Jesse Keating wrote:

Why should the buck START with zlib?  If we do one, then we should do
them all right?  I'm sorry but this is a hard line I have to draw.

fwiw, i wholeheartedly support jesse on this.

i think it's been fairly well established that zlib doesn't need upgrading to build ClamAV, but even if we were discussing some deep core tool, without whose upgrade no single piece of code released anywhere on earth since 1.1.2003 would build, i'd still support the "we patch, not upgrade" policy.

i'm maintaining production servers on the strength of FL, and i do *not* want stuff changing under me without my consent. where i need new functionality (as i do, for (eg) squirrelmail and spamassassin), i'll package it myself. unless i choose to do that, or to bite the bullet and upgrade an entire system, i *really* don't want upgrades disguised as fixes sneaking in under the radar.

--

  Tom Yates
  Cambridge, UK.

--