Re: Language and locale selection

On Jul 23, 2013, at 6:08 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/23/2013 07:53 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> It'd be a rather long list to list all language+locale, but it's less clutter.
>
> The problem with a long list that has all languages+locales is that it
> would be exponentially more difficult to browse via keyboard, even worse
> via mouse with the new gtk3 scrollbars.

So when I say it'd be a long list, you're saying it'd be a loooong list. That is, it'd be something like the bugzilla search component field - it'd be so long that the scroll bar is pretty useless, because the granularity isn't there? If yes, OK yeah bag that idea.

> I think if you could
> locate which country the user is in based on IP address you could use
> that to prioritize in the UI those locales associated with that country
> in the CLDR.

The simplest, albeit maybe not very elegant way of doing it, is to have two lists, as proposed. Language, then all locales as a subset list. It's straightforward, it works whether there's internet or not, and works even if geoip is wrong.

Fancy schmancy gets complicated quickly. If the user doesn't have internet, or geoip puts them in Los Angeles, and yet they've selected Portuguese, OK now what? The user needs to select form all locale options anyway because the correct answer is ambiguous with the available information.

So while an elegant solution could work for 80%, the other 20% have a weird experience and thus need an obvious fallback UI.

What to build is a choice between simple-not-so-elegant, or both fancy schmancy and simple-not-so-elegant as the fallback position.

> We started out with just the language list, and as Vratislav pointed
> out, we've been getting bugs and requests from users to include locales
> such as pt_br or Punjabi / India that aren't in the list.

The bugs suggest confusion of wording in the installer?

What about selectively showing locale based on translator feedback?

For example. User chooses English, but doesn't get a list of locales because there are no bugs (or expectations from English speakers in various countries) indicating language confusion in the installer due to dialect or colloquialism.

But then for Portuguese, show the locales because there are bugs reports (possibly from translators) that indicate a need to reveal locale for this language, to avoid confusion.

I don't know that locale needs to be reveals in all or most language; but again I'm biased due to circumstances.

Chris Murphy