Re: Language and locale selection

On Mon, 2013-07-22 at 23:16 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On 07/18/2013 12:17 PM, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> >> Two vertical is exactly what I was going to suggest - it's a much more
> >> common design pattern.
> > I'm not sure "the vertical way" [1] is much better, but maybe it's just
> > some minor fix that is needed. Any suggestions?
>
> Hrmm I poked at this... the design pattern I was thinking of originally
> is called 'cascading lists'
> http://designinginterfaces.com/firstedition/index.php?page=Cascading_Lists
>
> For this screen though maybe it's too complex, I agree this isn't working.
>
> I mocked up some other ideas here:
>
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/anaconda/temp/LangAndSubLangSelection/lang-selection.1.png
>
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/anaconda/temp/LangAndSubLangSelection/lang-selection.2.png
>
> This would make the locale (which I think doesn't need the translation,
> that could be dropped) kind of a pop up submenu kind of thing - kind of
> like a list inlay (http://designinginterfaces.com/patterns/list-inlay/)
> where the list pops out on the side instead of inlaid. But the
> interaction between selecting the language and then selecting the locale
> is a bit awkward.
The only "problem" is that we never get to situation where there is no
language selected (and thus the "pop up submenu" is not shown). The
installation starts with en_US or UEFI/GeoIP suggestion preselected.
However this may be okay and with the arrow and better proportionality
it looks much better, I think.

> Maybe it would be better to do something like a one-window drilldown
> (http://designinginterfaces.com/patterns/one-window-drilldown/). Where
> the entire contents of the language selection disappear to show a 'back'
> item at the top and the locale list? (I could mock that up tommorrow to
> show what I mean, I have to sleep now though :) )
Should I vote for something, this would be my choice. It is a common
pattern in Gnome, mobile devices etc. so people are used to it. And if
we added some "<" ">" arrows at the top, to get back to the list of
languages and to the list of locales for the selected language,
respectively, I think that would be the best solution.

--
Vratislav Podzimek