Re: Language and locale selection

On 07/18/2013 12:17 PM, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
>> Two vertical is exactly what I was going to suggest - it's a much more
>> common design pattern.
> I'm not sure "the vertical way" [1] is much better, but maybe it's just
> some minor fix that is needed. Any suggestions?

Hrmm I poked at this... the design pattern I was thinking of originally
is called 'cascading lists'
http://designinginterfaces.com/firstedition/index.php?page=Cascading_Lists

For this screen though maybe it's too complex, I agree this isn't working.

I mocked up some other ideas here:

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/anaconda/temp/LangAndSubLangSelection/lang-selection.1.png

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/anaconda/temp/LangAndSubLangSelection/lang-selection.2.png

This would make the locale (which I think doesn't need the translation,
that could be dropped) kind of a pop up submenu kind of thing - kind of
like a list inlay (http://designinginterfaces.com/patterns/list-inlay/)
where the list pops out on the side instead of inlaid. But the
interaction between selecting the language and then selecting the locale
is a bit awkward.

Maybe it would be better to do something like a one-window drilldown
(http://designinginterfaces.com/patterns/one-window-drilldown/). Where
the entire contents of the language selection disappear to show a 'back'
item at the top and the locale list? (I could mock that up tommorrow to
show what I mean, I have to sleep now though :) )

~m