Re: Language and locale selection

On 07/23/2013 04:52 AM, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> The only "problem" is that we never get to situation where there is no
> language selected (and thus the "pop up submenu" is not shown). The
> installation starts with en_US or UEFI/GeoIP suggestion preselected.
> However this may be okay and with the arrow and better proportionality
> it looks much better, I think.

Yep exactly. The only thought I had to get around that oddness was that
the arrow & locale selection box would appear after some time delay. In
practice that might be annoying for the user though.

>> Maybe it would be better to do something like a one-window drilldown
>> (http://designinginterfaces.com/patterns/one-window-drilldown/). Where
>> the entire contents of the language selection disappear to show a 'back'
>> item at the top and the locale list? (I could mock that up tommorrow to
>> show what I mean, I have to sleep now though :) )
> Should I vote for something, this would be my choice. It is a common
> pattern in Gnome, mobile devices etc. so people are used to it. And if
> we added some "<" ">" arrows at the top, to get back to the list of
> languages and to the list of locales for the selected language,
> respectively, I think that would be the best solution.

I agree, it seems the cleanest solution and GNOME menus are starting to
use this pattern. I'll mock it up right now and send the updated mockups
here.

~m