Re: Language and locale selection

On 07/23/2013 06:49 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I agree, it seems the cleanest solution and GNOME menus are starting to
> use this pattern. I'll mock it up right now and send the updated mockups
> here.

Okay here's what I'm thinking:

Part 1: Pre-Selection
---------------------

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/anaconda/temp/LangAndSubLangSelection/lang-selection.3-1.png

There's no default selection. The user has to click on one to move
forward. If there was a default selection, it would be very confusing to
figure out how to select the local if the language was already selected
- how would you trigger the locale menu? So if we leave all of the langs
unselected, then you click on the lang to trigger the locale menu.

Anyway notice the 'next' button is kind of greyed out until the locale
is selected in part 3.

Part 2: Hover
--------------

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/anaconda/temp/LangAndSubLangSelection/lang-selection.3-2.png

When you hover over a language, the right-facing arrow shows up to give
you a hint about what will happen when you click on it (the menu will
'page' to the right.)

If you're using a touch interface, you can just touch the language and
you don't need this hover state - touching a menu like this to have it
swap out to a new submenu I think is more expected from a touch POV.

Part 3: Locale selection
------------------------

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/anaconda/temp/LangAndSubLangSelection/lang-selection.3-3.png

Would it make sense here to select a locale by default? Here you simply
click the locale to select it. If you want to go back and pick a
different language, you click the 'back' at the top of the menu (and I
think if you scroll, the back should still be visible. Is this possible
in GTK to make it sticky like that?)

So here's some questions to think about with these mockups:

1) Is it possible to make a sticky 'back' item in the locale menu? (If
not, maybe we better have a back button the same width as the list above
it?)

2) The search box - can it operate in this context? Should it go away
for the locale display? Is it possible to have it search only languages
when languages are visible, and search only locales when the locales are
visible?

3) No pre-selection burden - one thing to consider.... since we are not
pre-selecting any language, 100% of users will have to click on a
language. Today depending on the default language set for a spin, the
speakers of the default language can just click next and not have to
select a language. I wonder if users who are used to never engaging with
this language selection will get upset that now they have to?

What do you think?

~m