Re: Language and locale selection

On 07/23/2013 07:53 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> It'd be a rather long list to list all language+locale, but it's less clutter.

The problem with a long list that has all languages+locales is that it
would be exponentially more difficult to browse via keyboard, even worse
via mouse with the new gtk3 scrollbars. It's important that the lists be
browsable since at this point the keyboard layout isn't set so unless
you've got the default layout or know how to use it, you can't search
for the lang/locale you need and you have to interact with the list in a
browse modality. If the list was solely a search-only list I'd agree
with your point but it necessarily has to be browsable as well.

> Is there a clear benefit to establishing region/locale at install time? Or a clear negative of not doing so?

You might want to read back through the whole thread to see Vratislav's
postings, he gives rationale - primarily because the translations
between locales (the canonical example would be Brazilian Portuguese vs.
Portugal Portuguese) can differ a lot and would affect the user's
understanding of the installer text.

> Is there some way to infer likely locale based on language+timezone, assume that, while offering the user a place to change it (again does the change need to be possible in the installer?)

I don't know, but if it was technically possible without adding an
additional burden on the anaconda devs in maintaining more language
metadata this is a potential elegant solution worth exploring. The DB
used for the language/locale data is called CLDR. I think if you could
locate which country the user is in based on IP address you could use
that to prioritize in the UI those locales associated with that country
in the CLDR. We still need a default behavior that doesn't rely on that
though because we can't be guaranteed a network connection. I also worry
about when GeoIP goes awry... e.g., my company is headquartered in
Raleigh but I'm in Boston, yet I can tell when I'm connected to VPN
because I get ads targeted at people in Raleigh / Google Maps assumes
I'm in Raleigh / etc.

I don't know how fine-grained the CLDR location data is either... e.g.,
can it know based on which region of Switzerland you're in whether or
not you're more likely to speak German or French? Or if you're in India,
if you're more likely to speak Bengali vs Tamil vs the dozen+ other
Indic languages we have translations for that you might encounter there.
Or is it just at a country level...

> I know that OS X and Windows installers only allow the user to
> specify a language, not locale. It's a rather short list. The user
> isn't ever asked for locale (during or post install or first boot),
> but they can change region independent of time zone and language.
> Anyway, I don't mean to indicate it should be done like OS X or
> Windows, if they're doing something ineffective that produces an
> undesired result, by all means Fedora should do better. Being English
> speaking in the U.S. I never run into problems due to the U.S.
> English default in all three products, so I'm unaware of what
> problems people in other places are experiencing.

We started out with just the language list, and as Vratislav pointed
out, we've been getting bugs and requests from users to include locales
such as pt_br or Punjabi / India that aren't in the list.

~m