Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:45:06 -0800 (PST)
> Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

>>> Yes, please start a new topic about IIR vs FIR, but, anyway, if you
>>> want low latencies AND equalization at 5hz, 8hz, 12hz, forget about
>>> it - it's impossible physically/mathematically - regardless of OS
>>> and sound system, and regardless of digital/analog.
>>>
>>> I.e, you can either have
>>>
>>> low (latency/group delay) AND equalization only at high frequencies
>>
>> What? What are you trying to say here? Most equalizers are just
>> realisations of second order differential equations ( or fourth order) that
>> is why analog systems can create them. The behaviour at the next instant of
>> time depends only on the values of certain variables at this instant of
>> time. That is local and is locally simulatable digitally. There is no need
>> to wait for many periods of the signal.
>>
>> Thus if o_i is the ith output and f_i is the ith input
>>
>> o_i+1= ((1-a)o_i -2afi)/(1+a)
>> is a low pass single pole filter with the low passband frequency determined
>> by a.
>> Even a 12 pole filter can be done using only 13 immediate frequencies. and
>> you do not need to wait, you just save the last 12 in a buffer. Ie, this
>> filter has as latency only the time required to actually carry out the
>> calculation.
>>
>> You certainly would not impliment this by doing a Fourier transform.
>> Just as the analog filter does not do it by instituting a fourier
>> transform-- it impliments the filter by storing information in the charge
>> on capacitors, or currents in inductors and the next value of the output
>> depends only on the immediate values of those few variables.
>>
>> Now if your purpose is to do frequency shifting or resampling that is far
>> more difficult, because there things really are non-local in time.
>>

>>> OR
>>>
>>> big (latency/group delay) AND equalization also at low frequencies.
>>
>> Or low latency and equalisation at low frequencies.
>>

>>> Regards,
>>>  Sergei.
>>>

> Bill,
>
> think of:
>
> 1) relationship between Q factor of on oscillating loop and its
> ability to react to quickly changing envelope;

It does not matter. The response of the loop is completely local in time.
The next instant's voltage output of the oscillator is simply determined by
the charge on the capacitor and the current through the
inductor/resistor. This purely local intereaction is what gives the system
its memory. Otherwise analog filters would not work either-- suffereing
from huge latencies.

> 2) (non-equal for different frequencies in IIR/analog equalizer)
> group delay;

Again, it does not matter.
These all arise purely from the local in time equations of motion, which
can be modeled by purely local equations for the digital stream (ie
depending only on a few buffer values which are updated at each time step , and the input value
now.