Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

Sergei,

I am not familiar enough with what I need to say I must have Jack.  In fact, I can playback a simple WAV file by "ecasound  -i songmept1.wav -o:alsahw" just fine.   I think my Alsa system is OK, I was thinking I'd need Jack to allow me to impement signal processing using tools like bruteFIR, Jamin, etc.

Should I be able to configure a basic active crossover (lowpass and high pass) and perhaps a parametric EQ without Jack?

Let's say for a simple test I want to take my WAV, play it back with ecasound, route it to BruteFIR (or some other tool ) and implement a xover with separate high pass and low pass outputs driving external amplifiers.   I've currently got the Intel ICH7 multi-channel HD sound card, although of course I realize this wont' be a good solution for much more than a simple test, should this inbuilt capability work for my simple test sans jack?

Very sorry for my rank amateurish level of Linux audio knowledge and thanks for your help.

Rgds,
ronan

On 1/24/07, Sergei Steshenko < steshenko_sergei@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:30:51 -0800
"ronan mcallister" <bass.woofer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sergei,
>
> Thanks!
>
> I've installed ecasound, and it has many features I know I'll eventually use
> once I can figure out my basic issue with the playback chain.
>
> when playing back a WAV file thru ecasound using Jack, as before with other
> tools, I get choppy / distorted audio.
>
> I'm beginning to think this might be a problem with either my use / config
> of JAD RT kernel, or my SATA drives.  I mentioned before that most distros
> don't recognize my SATA disks.
>
> I've got RT kernel (JAD) installed, and when Yast set this up I rebooted and
> I see a new boot image option for the RT kernel, but it just hangs, so I
> reboot into suse 10.2.
>
> Looking briefly at the disk info:
>
> evolution:/boot/grub # lsmod | grep -i disk
> ide_disk               34304  0
> ide_core              174720  4 usb_storage,ide_cd,piix,ide_disk
>
> lspci | grep -i ata
> 00: 1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial
> ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 01)
>
> /dev/sdb:
>  IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
>  HDIO_GET_UNMASKINTR failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>  HDIO_GET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>  HDIO_GET_KEEPSETTINGS failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    = 256 (on)
>  geometry     = 30515/255/63, sectors = 490234752, start = 0
>
> That can't be good!
>
> When running qjackctl, I cant' ever get the RT indicator to light.  I've
> played with a variety of various buffer settings etc.  The system seems
> fairly responsive....
>
> When running ecasound, it appears to be OK setting the scheduler to RT:
>
> ecasound -i songmept1.wav -o jack_alsa
> *        ecasound v2.4.5 (C) 1997-2006 Kai Vehmanen and others
> - [ Session created ]
> - [ Chainsetup created (cmdline) ]
> - [ Connecting chainsetup ]
> (eca-chainsetup) 'rt' buffering mode selected.
> (eca-chainsetup) Audio object "songmept1.wav", mode "read".
> (audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
> (eca-chainsetup) Audio object "jack_alsa", mode "write".
> (audio-io) Format: f32_le, channels 2, srate 44100, noninterleaved.
> - [ Chainsetup connected ]
> (eca-control-objects) Connected chainsetup: "command-line-setup".
> - [ Controller/Starting batch processing ]
> -------------------------------------
> - [ Engine init - Driver start ]
> (eca-engine) Using realtime-scheduling (SCHED_FIFO:50).
> - [ Controller/Processing stopped (cond) ]
> -------------------------------------
> - [ Engine exiting ]
> (eca-control-objects) Disconnecting chainsetup: "command-line-setup".
> - [ Chainsetup disconnected ]
>

> I'll continue trolling/googling to see if I can get a better disk driver.
> Amazing, I can't believe SATA drives are giving me so many headaches!
>
> Thanks
> Ronan

There was a number of reports about problems with SATA drivers in
this list - even if music is played not from SATA drive, but
SATA drive is being accessed by system, i.e. in cases of PATA + SATA
drives in the system.

That's why, to be on the safe side, I bought an MB with both SATA
and PATA drives - still 2 IDE channels like in good old times :-).

Regarding JACK + ecasosund - do you really need JACK in such a case ?

I think that ecasound supports ALSA directly, and it can act as a mixer,
so why do you need JACK in the first place - if I'm right about ALSA
support ?

Regards,
  Sergei.
--