Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

Hello,

I have a thread I posted at diy-audio forums on this.

My quest is to find a sound card compatible with Linux/ALSA I can use
to create professional grade and home hi-fi equalization and crossover
function.  my search has led me to the RME cards, as I have a general
requirement to implement sub-bass equalization below 20Hz (and RME can
do 5Hz) and they appear to have excellent specs, however, as I
understand it, I will need to purchase two output cards for the RME
card in order to realize enough discrete analog output channels for
active crossover of 2X6 (highs, mids ,bass).  I may need to expand
this to additional channels EG for dolby 7.1 home theater.

I'm writing to ask about the RME cards relatively to Linux (I'm using
Suse 10.1) -- which RME cards are the most fully-featured to work with
ALSA in the various product lines?  Which cards within those most
actively "supported" by the driver developers are the most robust and
the best cost/feature wise?  Which have the most flexibilty?

I originally looked at the RME 96/32 PAD because I have a Windows RTA
where this card has been reported to work well... Now I'm pursuing
Linux so I'm not so concerned about Windows...   The replacement for
the RME 96/32 PAD card is the HDSP9632 which has only stereo analog
output. You need to buy the expansion card(s) -- apparently 4ch or I
or O each card. The 9632 can handle supposedly 6 I/O simultaneously.
Is my assumption I'd need one output card for use to implement a 2X6
analog I/O correct? My info from
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hd....htm#TECHNICAL.

Which of the RME cards are most actively used/supported?

Are there any other sound cards with similar characteristics that
might be a better choice?

Looking at the RME card, I'd need (I think) the card itself plus two
4-port output cards to realize the 2x6 crossover and EQ's -- I'd be
spending about $1200 on the hardware.  I can buy dedicated prosound or
home hifi equipment (loudspeaker management system) to do the same for
less money -- yet I'd rather implement in something like BruteFIR and
Linux if I can avoid commercial equipment.

Oh and one problem with the RME card is if I need onboard I/O cards,
it will take up more PCI slots than I have (I only have one spare PCE
card).  I'd have to find a PCI extender etc.  I wonder if I should
look at a fully outboard firewire device?

Thanks for your advice!
Ronan