Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

Sergei,

Thanks!

I've installed ecasound, and it has many features I know I'll eventually use once I can figure out my basic issue with the playback chain.

when playing back a WAV file thru ecasound using Jack, as before with other tools, I get choppy / distorted audio.

I'm beginning to think this might be a problem with either my use / config of JAD RT kernel, or my SATA drives.  I mentioned before that most distros don't recognize my SATA disks.

I've got RT kernel (JAD) installed, and when Yast set this up I rebooted and I see a new boot image option for the RT kernel, but it just hangs, so I reboot into suse 10.2.

Looking briefly at the disk info:

evolution:/boot/grub # lsmod | grep -i disk
ide_disk               34304  0
ide_core              174720  4 usb_storage,ide_cd,piix,ide_disk

lspci | grep -i ata
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 01)

/dev/sdb:
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 HDIO_GET_UNMASKINTR failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
 HDIO_GET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
 HDIO_GET_KEEPSETTINGS failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 30515/255/63, sectors = 490234752, start = 0

That can't be good!

When running qjackctl, I cant' ever get the RT indicator to light.  I've played with a variety of various buffer settings etc.  The system seems fairly responsive....

When running ecasound, it appears to be OK setting the scheduler to RT:

ecasound -i songmept1.wav -o jack_alsa
*        ecasound v2.4.5 (C) 1997-2006 Kai Vehmanen and others
- [ Session created ] ----------------------------------------------------------
- [ Chainsetup created (cmdline) ] ---------------------------------------------
- [ Connecting chainsetup ] ----------------------------------------------------
(eca-chainsetup) 'rt' buffering mode selected.
(eca-chainsetup) Audio object "songmept1.wav", mode "read".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
(eca-chainsetup) Audio object "jack_alsa", mode "write".
(audio-io) Format: f32_le, channels 2, srate 44100, noninterleaved.
- [ Chainsetup connected ] -----------------------------------------------------
(eca-control-objects) Connected chainsetup: "command-line-setup".
- [ Controller/Starting batch processing ] -------------------------------------
- [ Engine init - Driver start ] -----------------------------------------------
(eca-engine) Using realtime-scheduling (SCHED_FIFO:50).
- [ Controller/Processing stopped (cond) ] -------------------------------------
- [ Engine exiting ] -----------------------------------------------------------
(eca-control-objects) Disconnecting chainsetup: "command-line-setup".
- [ Chainsetup disconnected ] --------------------------------------------------

I'll continue trolling/googling to see if I can get a better disk driver.  Amazing, I can't believe SATA drives are giving me so many headaches!

Thanks
Ronan

On 1/24/07, Sergei Steshenko <steshenko_sergei@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:54:58 -0800
"ronan mcallister" <bass.woofer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sergei,
>
> Thank you -- you are correct.  My major challenge for live audio / sound
> does not have anything to do with WAV files -- but everything to do with
> sound reinforcement and in my case mostly outdoor concert PA systems.
>
> I am sorry I failed to clearly and simply explain that earlier.
>
> If I can get past the point of doing simple stuff like routing WAV audio
> with Jack between linux audio applications (and back out to my audio
> outputs!) without daemons dying and distortion, clicks, pops and core dumps,
> I'll be happy this month.   I will dig for additional patience.  I know...
> this is free software.
>
> :-)
>
> Rgds,
> Ronan

FWIW, consider also 'ecasound' - another way of mixing, controlled
buffer sizes, i.e. latency, can work with LADSPA plugins, has
"third party" GUIs.

Regards,
  Sergei.
--