Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:15:21 -0800 (PST)
> Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Never tried to do live sound with it. I'm one of the recording/messing around
>>> types :)
>>
>> No idea what you mean by "live" vs studio. Both are the same -- and input
>> of music.
>
> ???????
>
> If you want to ALWAYS equalize your room and not to create an equalized copy
> of every sound file at your disposal, then you need to do processing in
> real time, and this is how I understand "live" as opposed to "studio".

If that is what he means by live, then I do not think alsa or jack are
appropriate. There is too much latency. Ie, sound gets recorded in chunks
and fed out in chunks. You then need to read in, process and ship out each
timeslice in the time it takes for that timeslice to come by. Even if you
are just doing stuff below 1KHz I suspect that latency would be a real
problem.