Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:30:51 -0800
"ronan mcallister" <bass.woofer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sergei,
>
> Thanks!
>
> I've installed ecasound, and it has many features I know I'll eventually use
> once I can figure out my basic issue with the playback chain.
>
> when playing back a WAV file thru ecasound using Jack, as before with other
> tools, I get choppy / distorted audio.
>
> I'm beginning to think this might be a problem with either my use / config
> of JAD RT kernel, or my SATA drives.  I mentioned before that most distros
> don't recognize my SATA disks.
>
> I've got RT kernel (JAD) installed, and when Yast set this up I rebooted and
> I see a new boot image option for the RT kernel, but it just hangs, so I
> reboot into suse 10.2.
>
> Looking briefly at the disk info:
>
> evolution:/boot/grub # lsmod | grep -i disk
> ide_disk               34304  0
> ide_core              174720  4 usb_storage,ide_cd,piix,ide_disk
>
> lspci | grep -i ata
> 00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial
> ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 01)
>
> /dev/sdb:
>  IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
>  HDIO_GET_UNMASKINTR failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>  HDIO_GET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>  HDIO_GET_KEEPSETTINGS failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    = 256 (on)
>  geometry     = 30515/255/63, sectors = 490234752, start = 0
>
> That can't be good!
>
> When running qjackctl, I cant' ever get the RT indicator to light.  I've
> played with a variety of various buffer settings etc.  The system seems
> fairly responsive....
>
> When running ecasound, it appears to be OK setting the scheduler to RT:
>
> ecasound -i songmept1.wav -o jack_alsa
> *        ecasound v2.4.5 (C) 1997-2006 Kai Vehmanen and others
> - [ Session created ]
> - [ Chainsetup created (cmdline) ]
> - [ Connecting chainsetup ]
> (eca-chainsetup) 'rt' buffering mode selected.
> (eca-chainsetup) Audio object "songmept1.wav", mode "read".
> (audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
> (eca-chainsetup) Audio object "jack_alsa", mode "write".
> (audio-io) Format: f32_le, channels 2, srate 44100, noninterleaved.
> - [ Chainsetup connected ]
> (eca-control-objects) Connected chainsetup: "command-line-setup".
> - [ Controller/Starting batch processing ]
> -------------------------------------
> - [ Engine init - Driver start ]
> (eca-engine) Using realtime-scheduling (SCHED_FIFO:50).
> - [ Controller/Processing stopped (cond) ]
> -------------------------------------
> - [ Engine exiting ]
> (eca-control-objects) Disconnecting chainsetup: "command-line-setup".
> - [ Chainsetup disconnected ]
>

> I'll continue trolling/googling to see if I can get a better disk driver.
> Amazing, I can't believe SATA drives are giving me so many headaches!
>
> Thanks
> Ronan

There was a number of reports about problems with SATA drivers in
this list - even if music is played not from SATA drive, but
SATA drive is being accessed by system, i.e. in cases of PATA + SATA
drives in the system.

That's why, to be on the safe side, I bought an MB with both SATA
and PATA drives - still 2 IDE channels like in good old times :-).

Regarding JACK + ecasosund - do you really need JACK in such a case ?

I think that ecasound supports ALSA directly, and it can act as a mixer,
so why do you need JACK in the first place - if I'm right about ALSA
support ?

Regards,
  Sergei.
--