Re: Help/advice on RME cards and Linux ALSA

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:45:06 -0800 (PST)
Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 10:32:30 -0800
> > "ronan mcallister" <bass.woofer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Sergei,
> >>
> >> For the moment forgetting about the Xover's, how would I use ecasound or
> >> another tool to implement an arbitrary EQ function with sliders / user
> >> controls?  I've got JACK now running better (mainly a problem related to
> >> configuration) and I'd like to have maybe a dozen or more bands of very LF
> >> EQ (eg, fc: 5hz, 8hz, 12hz,.... 100hz) for subsonic equalization.
> >>
> >> So far it appears brutefir can do this but sans a GUI?  What plugin would I
> >> need and is it extensible?
> >>
> >> should I start a new topic to discuss the IIR based EQ you hinted about?
> >>
> >> Thank you very much,
> >> Ronan
> >>

> > Yes, please start a new topic about IIR vs FIR, but, anyway, if you
> > want low latencies AND equalization at 5hz, 8hz, 12hz, forget about
> > it - it's impossible physically/mathematically - regardless of OS
> > and sound system, and regardless of digital/analog.
> >
> > I.e, you can either have
> >
> > low (latency/group delay) AND equalization only at high frequencies
>
> What? What are you trying to say here? Most equalizers are just
> realisations of second order differential equations ( or fourth order) that
> is why analog systems can create them. The behaviour at the next instant of
> time depends only on the values of certain variables at this instant of
> time. That is local and is locally simulatable digitally. There is no need
> to wait for many periods of the signal.
>
> Thus if o_i is the ith output and f_i is the ith input
>
> o_i+1= ((1-a)o_i -2afi)/(1+a)
> is a low pass single pole filter with the low passband frequency determined
> by a.
> Even a 12 pole filter can be done using only 13 immediate frequencies. and
> you do not need to wait, you just save the last 12 in a buffer. Ie, this
> filter has as latency only the time required to actually carry out the
> calculation.
>
> You certainly would not impliment this by doing a Fourier transform.
> Just as the analog filter does not do it by instituting a fourier
> transform-- it impliments the filter by storing information in the charge
> on capacitors, or currents in inductors and the next value of the output
> depends only on the immediate values of those few variables.
>
> Now if your purpose is to do frequency shifting or resampling that is far
> more difficult, because there things really are non-local in time.
>

> > OR
> >
> > big (latency/group delay) AND equalization also at low frequencies.
>
> Or low latency and equalisation at low frequencies.
>

> > Regards,
> >  Sergei.

Bill,

think of:

1) relationship between Q factor of on oscillating loop and its
ability to react to quickly changing envelope;

2) (non-equal for different frequencies in IIR/analog equalizer)
group delay;

3) possible pulse smudging in case of non-equal group delay.

If Ronan opens the new thread, we'll discuss it all there.

Regards,
  Sergei.

--
Visit my http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/ open source project.