Re: 64 bit platform improvements

On Thu, December 26, 2013 22:45, Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
> "Anatol Belski" in php.windows (Thu, 26 Dec 2013 22:35:06 +0100):
>
>> On Thu, December 26, 2013 20:47, Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
>>
>>> I will try to get a BT with GDB. Probably that wil mean I have to
>>> load PHP 5.7 as mod_php in a VC11 Apache, because GDB does not catch
>>> errors of a php-cgi that is loaded from within Apache.
>>>
>> You can attach to the php-cgi.exe process once it's running.
>>

> I have no clue how to do that.

Yeah, there is a page
https://bugs.php.net/bugs-generating-backtrace-win32.php , the debug tool
is in current version 2.0 now, but the screenshots are compatible. The
issue with gdb is that it can debug only the corresponding builds (for
instance binaries compiled with gcc under mingw). As PHP is built with the
native Visual Studio, the debug information format will not match. That's
why i was wondering :) With that debugdiag tool one can attach to some
running process, or with Visual Studio anyway.

>> Limiting the
>> pool to just one process will ensure there are no other php-cgi
>> processes started. But what do you mean with gdb, under windows?
>
> When I say gdb, I mean gdb ;-) I have got 32-bits and 64-bits gdb's for
> Windows: http://x32.elijst.nl/gdb.zip
>

>> Btw. there's no clue to use the TS version for CGI. Except you wanna
>> use pthreads, maybe. NTS version is also easier to debug.
>
> Because I had no clue how to debug a loaded php-cgi process, I had to do
> it this way...
>
>> That missing constant phenomenon might be good some caching error.
>>

> It was my fault: wrong  extension_dir settings.

Yep, i'm too slow in responses :)

>> Still, it's better to get a backtrace and file a ticket, so Dmitry or
>> any other >opcache maintainers can take a look.
>
> Is this logical for a non-released PHP version? The same thing does not
> happen in PHP 5.5.7 (with the latest opcache).
>
> For the gdb backtrace: see my previous message.

Well, things in master may be more buggy than those in some already
released branch. According to the PHP release RFC, it's unlikely for the
released branches to get some unstable features. Master is the perfect
place to drive the development forwards, which means of course it could
(but don't have to) be less stable. That will be stabilized anyway once
branched off for the next version. But independent from that, filing a
ticket is the most meaningful strategy to report a bug.

Thanks

Anatol