Re: php can't resolve 8.3 paths to unicode filenames, is that expected ?

Hello Pierre,

Friday, August 16, 2013, 5:38:01 AM, you wrote:

> and  'TESTUN~1.PHP' has unicode, created using CreateFileW with
> 'testunicode-ßäü123-öâ.php' as path. Fetch the 8.3 path and use it to
> open the file using php, works. In other words. exactly what your COM
> script does. Now, why you come to the conclusion that PHP can't open
> 8.3 path is a misery to me right now. It can and without issue.

It still seems you didn't read my examples, but this time your fresh mind
actually helped narrowing the problem and thanks
for that !

Indeed 'testunicode-ßäü123-öâ.php' works without
any issue. It seems that only some character ranges
are making php unable to get to the file, like russian or greek.

if you make files like:
testunicode-Ελλάδα or testunicode-Россия

Then php can't get handle to these files with errors like:

Warning: fopen(C:\TESTUN~3.PHP): failed to open stream: Invalid argument
in C:\test.php on line 7

And I say it again, all software I know doesn't have problem with greek and
russian letter in file name. All.

So the problem is even stranger. How the php filesystem function is ever supposed to
know that the path contain unicode letter since it was given the shorth path.

And how is that 16b apps aren't making a fuss about it and supposedly also not
knowing unicode PHP does ?

It really looks like someone tried to implement unicode filename handling in PHP
but stopped in middle.