Re: php can't resolve 8.3 paths to unicode filenames, is that expected ?

Dear R.S.,

On Tue, July 30, 2013 23:28, R. S. wrote:
> I filled a bug here: https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=65358
> But they dismissed it as duplicate.
> It has nothing to do with these bugs:
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=64699
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=61315
>

> Where people tried to put Unicode strings *directly* into php functions.
> Again I understand that it not works and wont work until a nowhere seen
> php6 with Unicode support comes up.
>
> Here I want to protect php from seeing the Unicode, but it still knows
> better and tries to resolve these shortened path.
>
> I wonder if someone who dismissed my bug even looked at it for more of
> one second.

just compare the mail addresses and you'll see that it was me who has
changed the status of your ticket. This has to be understood literally as
a duplicate, not dismiss. We dont need multiple open tickets about the
same thing, so for this reason. To check that it is indeed a multibyte
filename issue, I'll describe how I checkit:

- in an arbitrary dir create two files zzzzzzzzz_Ελλάδα.txt and
zzzzzzzzz_ellada.txt
- list the files with the commando dir /x, the relevant part i see here is

07/31/2013  12:22 AM                 0 ZZZZZZ~2.TXT zzzzzzzzz_ellada.txt
07/31/2013  12:22 AM                 0 ZZZZZZ~1.TXT zzzzzzzzz_ε???δα.txt

- do these simple runs
> php -r "var_dump(fopen('ZZZZZZ~2.TXT', 'r'));"
resource(5) of type (stream)

> php -r "var_dump(fopen('ZZZZZZ~1.TXT', 'r'));"

Warning: fopen(ZZZZZZ~1.TXT): failed to open stream: Invalid argument in
Command line code on line 1
bool(false)

The file without multibyte chars in the name can be opened. Also, do you
notice that question marks in the other filename? Those have to be
handled. Despite of how good the other old and new programs are, PHP
doesn't support this at the moment. That isn't a thing of belief but the
fact.

As a dessert I'd suggest you to read this ticket from not very recent past
about how it's going in python http://bugs.python.org/issue13247 :)

Cheers

Anatol