Re: PHP 64-bit binaries?

Pierre Joye wrote:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Lester Caine<lester@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Pierre Joye wrote:

Yes Pierre - on the larger systems we run multiple machines, but on sites
  that only require a single computer, a single clean stack is also
nice, with
  everything in the one base directory and without the agro of deciding
if
  this is a 32bit or 64bit program. Everything running on the Linux
boxes is
  64 bit, and everything is built from the same code base, so I will
continue
  to use a single 64bit stack ..

We are not talking about a linux stack here. And a server, even on the
same machine, has nothing to do with the clients connecting to it, as
explained earlier already.

? I'm running the full stack on windows as 64 bit code and seeing a
performance improvement over the 32bit version. Stripping parts out of the
64 bit stack and just running them 32bit may be worth the effort

Quoting your last mail:

" Everything running on the Linux boxes is 64 bit, and everything is
built from the same code base, so I will continue to use a single
64bit stack ..". So let stop this confusing discussion, points have
been made, we have ran extensive tests with all possible apps and
backends, PHP is actually slower and not stable enough and in some
extend less safe when built as 64bit. And I refer only to PHP and its
libraires here, not external tools like databases.

"so I will continue to use a single 64bit stack .. " on Windows since my starting point is the 64 bit build of Apache using php5apache2_2.dll built from the same code base as the 64 bit Linux stack ... Since there are no 'official' VC9 builds of Apache we are starting from an unofficial base anyway.

It would be useful to know where you are seeing stability issues since I have yet to find any and have a number of fairly busy sites running on it. These are all intranet, so have had quite a hammering from the IT departments security wise without any failures, but are not accessible outside the network.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL