Re: PHP 64-bit binaries?

Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
    ? I'm running the full stack on windows as 64 bit code and seeing a
    performance improvement over the 32bit version.
we are talking about your whole stack, as you didn't ran benchmarks using 32bit
php vs 64bit php.

I haven't rolled back just part ... in fact I have yet to find 32 bit builds of some of the extensions I use, but see last note ...

    Stripping parts out of the 64 bit stack and just running them 32bit may be
    worth the effort,
yeah, using 32bit php should gain you a little bit performance gain, and more
stable and supported build.

    but *I* am happy that my own PHP section running 64bit libraries for
    graphics and eaccelerator is running faster than switching just that section
    to 32 bit.

how do you know that it is running faster? did you benchmarked it against the
32bit version? I thought that you didn't.

I've not rolled back to 32bit with 5.3.8 ... the base benchmark was back at 5.3.5 time frame, although I'm not seeing any difference between 5.3.7 and 5.3.8 on 64bit speed wise.

    Apache running 64 bit IS faster
are you sure?
Fairly ... but I've just wiped the 32bit vista machine and that will have a clean 64bit W7 next so I've got another chance to get the figures.

I didn't really see any benchmarks supporting that fact, let alone for windows,
which is usually less of an interest for the apache httpd developers.
Anindya builds both x86 and x64 versions of Apache with VC9 since there are no official builds of Apache we can use with PHP anyway, so complaining that I'm not using an official PHP is a little academic anyway :) I'll run in just the Apache first and play with that - but my benchmarks are on PHP :(

    so using a 32 bit version once one switches to VC9 builds, so maintaining
    everything 64bit VC9 just seems sensible. Exactly the same as it is on Linux
    anyway.

yeah, if you are using php as an apache module, but if you use for example
fastcgi, you can run 32bit php with 64bit apache or vice versa.
I only ever use php5apache2_2.dll in Apache ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL