Re: PHP 64-bit binaries?

Pierre Joye wrote:
Yes Pierre - on the larger systems we run multiple machines, but on sites
>  that only require a single computer, a single clean stack is also nice, with
>  everything in the one base directory and without the agro of deciding if
>  this is a 32bit or 64bit program. Everything running on the Linux boxes is
>  64 bit, and everything is built from the same code base, so I will continue
>  to use a single 64bit stack ..
We are not talking about a linux stack here. And a server, even on the
same machine, has nothing to do with the clients connecting to it, as
explained earlier already.

? I'm running the full stack on windows as 64 bit code and seeing a performance improvement over the 32bit version. Stripping parts out of the 64 bit stack and just running them 32bit may be worth the effort, but *I* am happy that my own PHP section running 64bit libraries for graphics and eaccelerator is running faster than switching just that section to 32 bit. There way well be room for improvement, but having to sort out which programs can be 64bit and which 32bit is just messy. Apache running 64 bit IS faster so using a 32 bit version once one switches to VC9 builds, so maintaining everything 64bit VC9 just seems sensible. Exactly the same as it is on Linux anyway.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL