[RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

On 2/8/07, joscej@xxxxxxxxxxxx <joscej@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >user.vdr@xxxxxxxxx
> >Also, the user "inactivity" stuff is again, a bad idea. Vdr should not
> >assume anything or take action just because the user hasn't interacted
> >with it in a while. This type of behavior is simply not consistent with
> >other devices and not a behavior the user would expect. My tv will
> >not turn itself off based on my 'inactivity'.
>
> Maybe if you got a newer/better TV you would have this feature.
> My TV turns itself off after some inactivity time. So does my
> coffee-machine.

I have a new/great TV, and it will not turn itself off if I don't interact
with the tv itself while I'm watching an all-day marathon of Lost for
example.  We're talking about tv here.  People tend to put on something they
want to watch, and then watch it...  Not play with their remote control or
fiddle with tv settings.  It's completely ridiculous to assume the user is
done watching tv simply because he doesn't tell his tv otherwise every x
minutes or x hours.  If he wants the tv off, he can turn it off himself.
There is no reason to behave otherwise unless it's done thru some kind of
"auto-shutoff? [y/n]" setting.  With a setting like that I suppose you could
specify to shut off at a certain time of the day or user-defined timeout
period.  But force a shutdown because the user hasn't interacted with vdr?
No way!  He was probably too busy enjoying his favorite shows to think 'oh,
I better check in with my tv before it turns itself off'.  Come on now.

Also, a coffee-maker is not a device used for entertainment purposes.
Nobody turns their coffee-maker on and then sits there watching it.  I hope
not anyways.

I have many times accidentily switched of the VDR when someone else has
> set a timer and thus missed the recording.
>
> To me the logical way to do this would be:
>
> - if no recording going on and no timers switch off
> - if recording warn and ask for confirmation
> - if timer set warn and ask if it should write to nvram and then switch
> off
>
> Ideally how to behave could be chosen with settings.

How about if a timer is set to record within the next x minutes (defined by
the user), warn and ask to confirm shutdown?
This seems like a reasonable way to deal with the issue to me.