EPIA M with FF Card

Michael Reinelt a ?crit :
> I did some more tests yesterday, and I created lots of test pictures in
> 1024x768 and 1280x768 resolution. (Is there a place where I could
> provide them to the public?)

Send them via private mail, and I'll put them on my web space, along
with the other ones. I get 107 page views (not image download) per month
on this directory : it must be useful to some.

> Next I played around with modes for viafb: I get a 1280x768 mode with
> this options:
>
> modprobe viafb mode=1280x768 bpp=32 refresh=60 TVon=0
>
> I get a quite good picture where the 1280x768 fit exactly onto the
> screen (after some fine-tunig in the TV setup). But as I feared: the
> horizontal resolution isn't that good. I get a sharp resolution
> vertically, I can see that one pixel on the TV directly corresponds to
> one pixel in the test image. Horizontally, the pixels are blurred over
> 2-3 pixels. I have to switch the TV into 16:9 mode, in 4:3 mode the
> image is scaled down to 1024 pixels. I'm afraid the TV does *always*
> scale down to 1024, and then back up to 1280. Who the hell did design
> this braindamadged thing???

Well, it is not really astoniching, taking into account the skills or
common customers... I think they simply design their 16:9 panels with
the same components as the 4:3 ones, and ignore anything that is not
obvious. Since VGA as always been 4:3 (until a few years), they stick to it.

> Next I tried to play around with 1024x768. Now for the bad news: I
> couldn't get a good picture here. First, the only way to get a signal on
> the TV is
>
> modprobe viafb mode=1024x768 bpp=32 refresh=50 TVon=1 TVtype=1 TVoverscan=1
>
> (note the TVon=1!!)

This places to VGA chip into special refresh rates that fit the TV
encoder. These rates work with a multiscan monitor, but not with your
TV. There again : cheap design.

> As soon as I set TVon to 0, I get "no signal" or "not receiving" on the
> TV. Maybe some of the modes in viafb are wrong?

Might be, but IMHO the TV is also wrong.

> But even with the TVon=1 mode, the resulting image isn't 1024x768, but
> somewhat smaller ( I suppose about 800x600 or so). I think here are some
> wrong mode values, too.

Since the TV encoder fits the image in a PAL frame, and does not do
wonderful things, the VGA chip must provide degraded resolution, also
shown on the VGA output.

> Next I will play with softdevice and try to get VDR on viafb up and running.

Try my Debian package (http://nicolas.huillard.net/vdr/debian/ :
recompile it) or the one from Tobias Grimm (improved from mine) in
alioth.debian.org's SVN repository.
Also softdevice and softplay developers prepare a release real soon now
(this week-end).

> Last questions: is this the right ML for this stuff, or is it a bit OT
> here?

The original post was slightly OT, and derived to completely OT in many
directions...
The right ML are softdevice-devel@xxxxxxxxxx and
directfb-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx (viafb, DirectFB, TV-out). Start a new
thread there.