EPIA M with FF Card

Michael Reinelt a ?crit :
> Hi Nicolas!
>
> First the good news: It works! I can see a picture! Thanks a lot!
>
> I'm not shure what was wrong before, but maybe I made a big mistake:
> dfbg sets the background, but only for a very short time. Looks like
> that it switches back to a black screen after exit.

 From the man : "dfbg  is  a  small  utility to configure the background
of the DirectFB desktop. It loads the specified image and sets it as
background  image. dfbg requires DirectFB with the multi-application
core enabled."

This app has a purpose when a desktop/multi-app/window-manager case.
When run from the console without a desktop, it switches to DirectFB,
set the background, and quits DirectFB ("very short time").

> I found another strange thing in my syslog:
>
> kernel: viafb: 0 interrupt requests serviced.
> kernel: viafb: VIA UNICHROME framebuffer 1.0 initializing
> kernel: viafb: viafb : DCB80000
> kernel: viafb: framebuffer size = 64 Mb
> kernel: viafb: Found Device Rev:0
> kernel: viafb: X:1024 Y:768
> kernel: viafb: mode=1024  bpp=32  refresh=60  TVon=0  TVtype=1
> kernel: viafb: VQ start:3FC0000  end:3FFFFFF  size:40000
> kernel: viafb: Cursor start:3FBF000  end:3FBFFFF  size:1000
> kernel: viafb: mode=1024  bpp=32  refresh=255  TVon=0  TVtype=1
> kernel: setmode x:1024 y:768 bpp:32
> kernel: viafb: irq handler installed, IRQ(0x200) = 80080c02
> kernel: fb0: UNICHROME frame buffer device
>
> What is the second "refresh=255" about?

Don't know, but this driver is known not to be fully good...

>>You must also load the fbcon kernel module (I'm not sure about what
>>kernel options make it compile). This one allows tghe kernel to use a
>>frame-buffer console. Needed on 2.6, not on 2.4, and only if you use the
>>console keyboard/screen.
>
> I did not use fbcon, cause I don't need it. My HTPC is a set-top-box
> only, I don't even have a keyboard connected.
>
> *Not* using fbcon has another *real big* advantage: This way you can
> unload and reload the viafb module with different parameters!

Great. That will help me tuning the VT1622 table !

>>My /etc/directfbrc :
>>mode=720x576
>>#mode=800x600
>>#mode=1024x768
>
> 720x576 does not work here, but 800x600, 1024x768, and even 1280x768
> (which seems to be the real resolution of my 16:9 TV)
>
> But the TV does nasty things: looks like it scales the 1280 down to
> 1024, and then back to 1280 when switched to 16x9 :-( Ihave to
> investigate this further....

Many people would be interested by your findings (including me). Did you
try read-edid to get what the TV advertises via DDC

>>disable-module=cle266
>
> Hmmm... why should I disable the cle266 module???

The module named cle266 is the gfx driver version 0.3, superseded by a
0.4 version, named unichrome. Since both want to handle the VGA chip,
you have to disable one...

--
NH