EPIA M with FF Card

Michael Reinelt a ?crit :
> Nicolas Huillard schrieb:
>
>>but the summary would be like :
>>* use standard kernel
>>* add the viafb frame-buffer driver from http://patcher2k.012webpages.com/
>>* compile viafb as a module, but no vesafb or cle266vgaio (IIRC)
>>* /etc/directfbrc and /etc/fb.modes have to be cleaned up
>>* get DirectFB, DFB++, FFmpeg, et al. from CVS (older version might work)
>>* compile softdevice and enjoy !
>>Little problems I still have are related to /etc/directfbrc.
>
> Help!
>
> I'm trying to get softdevice up and running on my EPIA-M6000, but I fail
> in a very early stage :-(
>
> I'm using a vanilla kernel 2.6.11 and applied the viafb patch from
> patcher2k. I also compiled DirectFB from CVS.
>
> When I boot, I get normal VGA textmode on the console. As soon as I load
> the viafb module, I get garbage on the screen. I tried a lot of
> different module parameters, no difference.

The viafb driver has problems, for sure.
You must also load the fbcon kernel module (I'm not sure about what
kernel options make it compile). This one allows tghe kernel to use a
frame-buffer console. Needed on 2.6, not on 2.4, and only if you use the
console keyboard/screen.
You should try everything related to viafb over a remote shell (SSH), in
order to keep control of the computer.
My /etc/modules :
	viafb mode=720x576 bpp=32 refresh=50 TVon=1 TVoverscan=1
	fbcon

> Some of the dfb commands are working, but I see no result on the screen.
>
> If I try to change the resolution with either fbset or dfbswitch, either
> nothing happens, or (even worse) my TV (connected via VGA input) looses
> the signal. A reboot is the only way I found so far to get a signal back.
>
> I tried to compile the viafb driver from viaarena, but this driver does
> not compile with my 2.6.11 kerenl (lots of warnings, and errors about
> "structure has no member 'cursor').

This one is old and closed-source, isn't it ?

> Looks like I'm far away from using softdevice, but I want to display the
> test pictures from Nicolas!

You'll get them : fbcon + SSH + dfbshow
I just modify /etc/directfbrc to change the DirectFB resolution (gets
back to 720x576 when quitting the DFB app).
My /etc/directfbrc :
mode=720x576
#mode=800x600
#mode=1024x768
depth=32
pixelformat=ARGB
disable-module=lirc
disable-module=joystick
disable-module=cle266
#graphics-vt
#no-graphics-vt
#no-vt-switch
#no-vt-switching
no-vt

Try the '*vt*' options after reading the man pages and the ML archives
(vdr or directfb-users).

--
NH