Re: Reliably play a sound without disrupting the screen? [offtopic]

Michael wrote:

> Oh, and my personal opinion, ‘they’ don’t care if civilization stagnates.
> Like said earlier about the Middle Ages, ~1,000 years of stagnation, but
> the ‘elites’ keep their rule the whole time by keeping everyone
> uneducated.

Well if you substract the down and up part of the wave you are left with
about 500y which somehow corresponds to the fact that it was colder in
Europe and elsewhere and there was not enough food.
So it could be the elites had something in mind and used the circumstances
to their advantage, but I tend to admit that the food factor can not be let
out of the equation.
In fact they turned the heresy called Christianity into their advantage by
the genius of Constantin the Great so that they can consolidate the power
in the Roman Empire and thus save the Empire. It is remarkable to see the
layer of paganism under the layer of Christianity.
I have full respect for this. Also full respect to the Medici who gave us
Michelangelo, Leonardo and the Renaissance.
The conclusion we can draw is that we need enlightened monarchs, who bring
stability. I somehow do not see these in the west - it is pure irony, but
sadly true. Perhaps we evidence the shift of the pendulum to the east
unless we bring up some new Constantin the Great or preferably Medici.