Re: Change to forum software? (was TDE Matrix.org room?)

On 10/8/21 3:25 PM, Edward wrote:
> Regarding encryption, I have seen OpenPGP icons in Thunderbird from some of
> the e-mails coming in from the list, but have no idea how to set that up. I
> also don't know if there is way to set it up so that it only applies to the
> e-mail list and not to other e-mails.

There's a Thunderbird addon called Enigmail that makes configuration and use
almost automatic.

I think the idea of requiring encryption on a tech support mailing list is
completely ludicrous.  I really don't get why anyone would think it's a good
idea.  It would accomplish nothing except create a huge barrier to
newcomers, and make us look like a bunch of elitist snobs who think we're
too good to rub shoulders with the unwashed masses.  But if that and no
functional support for newcomers to TDE are what you're after, by all means
knock yourselves out.

The only possible advantage to encryption is if there's some kind of
intentional or unintentional block that's keeping someone, somewhere from
emailing to the list address.  But as I pointed out before, that problem is
easily solved by web-based posting, which is already in place.

--
PGP key: http://homestead-products.com/pubkey.htm