Re: Change to forum software? (was TDE Matrix.org room?)

On 10/8/21 6:10 PM, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

To quote myself:
"It doesn't have to be xmpp/jabber. That might not be quite the right tool for
the job; but I am pretty sure there must be something similar in concept that
would serve our needs."

My original suggestion was simply that we move toward using encryption for the
TDE mailing list. It was Michael's idea to create public/private keys for the
list. However, that was rejected as too user-unfriendly for noobs, which may
be true.

It seems to me that some people just cannot be content until they have their
privacy thoroughly violated and the entire human race is turned into slaves.
Resistance is futile! We will all be assimilated!

So what is it to be, then? I don't especially care about what tool we use, but
we ought to decide to move toward something better.

Stripping email headers might at least be a good place to start. I can't tell
how many email I have accidentally sent to private email addresses (or
received them) just because people don't think to check before they hit send.

Bill

I don't have an issue with the current e-mail list. I think it's good to have, plus there is that reference kept online, if someone accidentally deletes an e-mail.

Regarding encryption, I have seen OpenPGP icons in Thunderbird from some of the e-mails coming in from the list, but have no idea how to set that up. I also don't know if there is way to set it up so that it only applies to the e-mail list and not to other e-mails.

--
TDE 14.0.11pre | Debian 11 (amd64)

Linux. A Continual Learning Experience.