Re: Change to forum software? (was TDE Matrix.org room?)

On Friday 08 October 2021 13:34:33 Dan Youngquist wrote:
> Do I understand correctly that some want to trade in the support mailing
> list for a chat channel?  Words cannot express what a spectacularly bad
> idea that is.  Chat works great for gamers, adolescent busybodies, and
> quick easy questions that can be answered instantly by one person, maybe,
> but for anything along the lines of a technical discussion it's even worse
> than Facebook.  I sure hope we can put the kibosh on that idea right now.
>
> What's needed is a clear, concise way to follow a discussion thread, either
> in real time or later in the archive.  That bill is filled as well as
> possible just the way it is, and an ordinary web-based discussion forum is
> a close second.  Anything else is a huge step down in functionality and
> ease of use for the intended purpose.
>
> On 10/8/21 10:50 AM, Michael wrote:
> > Problems with the mailing list:
> >
> > - All email addresses become publicly published on the archival site.
>
> That's easy to fix, just strip senders' email address before sending to the
> list and archive, which should be being done anyway.
>
> > - Censorship blocks mails from being submitted to the list.
>
> Anyone with that problem can simply send from the web form on the list's
> website.  Alternatively, an optional encrypted mail-to address could be
> added.
>
> > - Everyone gets off topic emails
>
> Again, very easy to fix.  A few moderators might be a good idea to remind
> folks to take extended off topic discussions elsewhere.
>
> > - Everyone gets the spam emails submitted
>
> It's the internet; deal with it.  Better yet, do what worked very well for
> many years on several Yahoo Groups I ran, before they imploded:  New users
> are automatically put on "moderated" status so their posts require a mod's
> OK before going to the list.  It turns out that most spammers don't bother
> signing up when they know they'll never get a post on the list.  And
> legitimate new users can easily be taken off "moderated" as soon as they
> make a legitimate post.  Easy peasy, and solves at least 99% of the spam
> problem.
>
> > - Since many on the list use [data collecting] mail providers, then all
> > peoples’ emails on the list gets data collected.
>
> That's also solved by simply stripping sender email addresses before the
> message goes to the list.

To quote myself:
"It doesn't have to be xmpp/jabber. That might not be quite the right tool for
the job; but I am pretty sure there must be something similar in concept that
would serve our needs."

My original suggestion was simply that we move toward using encryption for the
TDE mailing list. It was Michael's idea to create public/private keys for the
list. However, that was rejected as too user-unfriendly for noobs, which may
be true.

It seems to me that some people just cannot be content until they have their
privacy thoroughly violated and the entire human race is turned into slaves.
Resistance is futile! We will all be assimilated!

So what is it to be, then? I don't especially care about what tool we use, but
we ought to decide to move toward something better.

Stripping email headers might at least be a good place to start. I can't tell
how many email I have accidentally sent to private email addresses (or
received them) just because people don't think to check before they hit send.

Bill