Re: Change to forum software? (was TDE Matrix.org room?)

Do I understand correctly that some want to trade in the support mailing
list for a chat channel?  Words cannot express what a spectacularly bad idea
that is.  Chat works great for gamers, adolescent busybodies, and quick easy
questions that can be answered instantly by one person, maybe, but for
anything along the lines of a technical discussion it's even worse than
Facebook.  I sure hope we can put the kibosh on that idea right now.

What's needed is a clear, concise way to follow a discussion thread, either
in real time or later in the archive.  That bill is filled as well as
possible just the way it is, and an ordinary web-based discussion forum is a
close second.  Anything else is a huge step down in functionality and ease
of use for the intended purpose.

On 10/8/21 10:50 AM, Michael wrote:
> Problems with the mailing list:
>
> - All email addresses become publicly published on the archival site.

That's easy to fix, just strip senders' email address before sending to the
list and archive, which should be being done anyway.

> - Censorship blocks mails from being submitted to the list.

Anyone with that problem can simply send from the web form on the list's
website.  Alternatively, an optional encrypted mail-to address could be added.

> - Everyone gets off topic emails

Again, very easy to fix.  A few moderators might be a good idea to remind
folks to take extended off topic discussions elsewhere.

> - Everyone gets the spam emails submitted

It's the internet; deal with it.  Better yet, do what worked very well for
many years on several Yahoo Groups I ran, before they imploded:  New users
are automatically put on "moderated" status so their posts require a mod's
OK before going to the list.  It turns out that most spammers don't bother
signing up when they know they'll never get a post on the list.  And
legitimate new users can easily be taken off "moderated" as soon as they
make a legitimate post.  Easy peasy, and solves at least 99% of the spam
problem.

> - Since many on the list use [data collecting] mail providers, then all
> peoples’ emails on the list gets data collected.

That's also solved by simply stripping sender email addresses before the
message goes to the list.

--
PGP key: http://homestead-products.com/pubkey.htm