Re: Change to forum software? (was TDE Matrix.org room?)

On Friday 08 October 2021 10:16:44 dep wrote:
> said William Morder via tde-users:
> | >
> | > Anyone consider groups.io ? --- which each member can use as either
> | > a mailing list and/or a forum for the group(s).
> | >
> | > Jonesy
> |
> | I never really got into IRC, etc., but can't xmpp/jabber be used for
> | this kind of thing? If so, why should we try to reinvent the wheel?
> |
> | And obviously I never did Zoom and that stuff, but I do think that a
> | forum would be a good idea, so that we can keep the mailing list more
> | strictly on-topic.
>
> A forum comes with its own wad of problems. Trying to remember the problem
> that we're hoping to solve. Is it some messages being bounced because of
> faulty spam filters, or something else?
>
> IRC can be useful, though not as a mailing list replacement, and, again,
> only if the problems attendant to *that* method are handled.
> --
> dep

(for example) can be routed to the forum (IRC or whatever), so that the list
can be kept more technical and probably more on-topic.

It could instantly deflate the occasional conflicts that we have, which are
often more like broad personality differences (e.g., techies versus others).

But for now, at least, I would keep the list, too, unless there is some
pressing reason otherwise.

Bill