Re: Change to forum software? (was TDE Matrix.org room?)

> Do you think that is unethical?

To pretty much all the examples you cite, I would say YES, unethical.

And to show you just what sort of crank I really am, I am seriously
considering getting rid of all technology that doesn't respect my wishes. I
realize that this would make it hard to function in modern society, the way
most people live in it, at least, but I don't usually need it. I lived
without computers at all until I was nearly 30, when I at last got myself a
Commodore Amiga; and it would be another 12 years without Internet, which I
got in the year 2000.

So it would not change my life much, if I did without it entirely. I could
figure out how to adapt, though I might have to move to somewhere remote and
totally off-grid.

But that is not addressing your question, and I recognize that. And besides, I
am not really a Luddite; I would just prefer to use technology on my own
terms, when it serves me. I could give a list of some of my bad experiences,
but I imagine we all could make a similar list. And while I entertain
fantasies of going off-grid and living like a wild man, I am also considering
buying solar panels and a charging station and some other solar-powered or
solar-dependent gadgets. I feel that it would be a good idea, just in case,
as we all see what's going on in the news.

Likewise, I realize that the business model has changed, and as you point out,
the lines are blurred, and everybody is trying to find their way.

My basic point, though, remains the same. When I say that data should not be
collected in the first place, I mean of course when it violates our privacy.
If I were terribly worried about people watching what I do, about hidden
tracking and surveillance and all that, then I would never be able to leave
the house.

Also, however, I have experienced the dark side of technology, up-close and
personal, with a number of pretty scary events. Who can guess when some
offhand, careless remark of mine will get me into big trouble? Our words can
be taken out of context and twisted, and make it seem like we said the
opposite of what we meant. (And that, unfortunately, is happening a lot
nowadays.) Already I have had the men in black show up at my door, no ID or
badges or anything, apparently just to harass and intimidate me (since what
they told me made no sense); on several occasions I have found myself
confronted by police with weapons drawn, merely because I did something that
seemed suspicious to somebody. (Carrying heavy bags, full of fruit from the
farmer's market, got me followed by police into the library. On another
occasion I was nearly shot in the library, a different library, for a bike
seat. I could give about a dozen more experiences.) I am not doing anything
especially interesting, unless thoughts really can be considered crimes.

If I have got put on somebody's list as *potentially* doing something wrong,
or likely to do something wrong in the future, then I would definitely like
to keep my data from being collected. Obviously (to myself), they are getting
false readings, are misinterpreting what they see, or they are just looking
for an excuse. I don't really care the reason; I don't care if it is bad for
business. If possible, I would like to keep myself alive for a few more
years, and to keep my freedom and privacy intact, so that I can finish
something that I have been working on for many years.

I don't know where it crosses over that line, from what is appropriate and
what violates my rights and my privacy, but we all know that it happens too
much. When you find yourself surrounded by a ring of police with their
weapons drawn, you might also reconsider, like myself, just how much is "too
much"; maybe you will say, whatever you know about me, it's wrong. When it
gets to that point, then you, too, will agree that something is wrong with
this picture. And this could be stopped by not collecting that data in the
first place. As I say, stop the problem at the root. Don't wait until your
data is already collected, then complain that laws and safeguards did not
protect you.

Somebody else said (I am paraphrasing from memory) that it's too late, that
ship has sailed. Well, that is sort of like saying that it is too late for me
to change my bad habits, because I am already pretty much set in my ways, and
it would be too much trouble for myself and everybody else to make such big
changes.

It might be that I sent unencrypted emails in the past, and still do, or that
I allowed my data to be collected when using platforms that I didn't fully
understand. But now that I recognize the dangers, I want to break myself of
those bad habits.

I still say that it is worth our consideration; that we ought to move in this
general direction. And moreover, I believe that in a few years you will find
that things take a sharp turn in either one direction (towards more privacy
and respect for users) or the other (towards more surveillance, and the
disappearance of privacy and freedom). It might be that we are forced into
giving up our privacy, completely and for ever, but I hope that I shall not
live so long to see it.

Since Nik has offered a tutorial, we might at least take him up on it. Perhaps
he can work out the details with us, here and now on the list, and/or post
clear instructions on the wiki. Michael was also saying something about
creating a shared key for the list, but it may be better for us instead just
to do it individually.

Regarding buying books online, by the way: I buy a lot of books. I mean, more
than anybody ought to do; there have even been some who express the opinion
that I buy more books than is good for me, and where I see a library, they
can see only clutter. But anyway, it is nearly all for my own research, not
much is just for pleasure. For myself, I would recommend that you try
abebooks.com. I search using a torified browser, and only move to a different
browser and direct connection when I purchase something. I never look at ads
or recommendations. I abandoned Amazon for good, a long time ago already.