Re: kmix - audacity - hiss & feedback when recording

On Friday 11 December 2020 13:10:15 William Morder wrote:
> On Thursday 10 December 2020 13:06:05 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > hi Bill!
> >
> > Anno domini 2020 Thu, 10 Dec 12:47:09 -0800
> >
> >  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
> > > Just wondering if anybody else here has encountered this problem, and
> > > what to do about it.
> > >
> > > When I play an instrument through kmix, I must enable loopback mixing,
> > > but this creates a hiss in the speakers, which in turn tends to create
> > > feedback -- in particular, when I plug in a hollow-body electric
> > > guitar.
> > >
> > > This has only been a problem since I upgraded from Devuan Jessie. I
> > > used to play through my computer speakers all the time, using them like
> > > a guitar amplifier. (There is another device, a headphone amplifier,
> > > which I use as a kind of pre-amp.) But otherwise, nothing in my setup
> > > has changed, except that I have upgraded to Devuan Beowulf.
> > >
> > > I would like to get rid of that hiss, and I don't remember having to
> > > enable loopback mixing before. I have only recorded a little since
> > > upgrading (using audacity), but it doesn't seem to affect recording
> > > quality too much, because I plug headphones into my computer speakers,
> > > which eliminates both hiss & feedback problems.
> > >
> > > Sorry for the detailed presentation; feel free to snip. The main
> > > problem is kmix-trinity, and whether anything has changed between
> > > Devuan Jessie and Beowulf, namely, loopback mixing. Or have I somehow
> > > misconfigured it?
> > >
> > > Bill
> >
> > If I recall correctly the loopbackdevice is connected internally to PCM,
> > but not to the line-in-plugs. That hising is just noise. Please start
> > alsamixer and play around with the controls, on some hardware you need to
> > bring the sound devices into a "good" state before kmix can take over.
> >
> > Nik
>
> Hail, Nik! Greetings from my hell of cacophony. I hate noise, unless I make
> it myself, in which case I call it jazz.
>
> Thanks for the tip on alsamixer. I don't know when last I looked at it.
> I've played round with it a little, and it did help me to enable both
> channels on surround (when the right channel was diminished for unknown
> reasons). I still haven't figured out the source of the hiss, but I haven't
> gone through every possible option yet.
>
> If it worked before without the hiss, then it seems reasonable to expect
> that I can restore those settings again. I'll report more, if I find
> anything worth telling.
>
> Bill

Okay, so maybe an update on this issue is worth posting.

After playing round with all my settings, I discovered that rear mic was
enabled for input source. I didn't remember having changed this, but it's
easy to correct. Once more I set my input source as line-in; also, I turned
down the sound levels for these items. No more hiss, no more feedback, so the
issue would seem to be resolved ... almost.

I restarted kmix and alsamixer, and my settings were preserved; but after a
reboot, the same problems arise again. Input source resets for rear mic
instead of line-in, and the sound level is changed to 100% instead of 0%.

The underlying issue -- why *something* keeps resetting to rear mic, and
changing the sound level -- is the problem. I *believe* that, after
restarting kmix and alsamixer, I ought to be able to preserve my chosen
settings as defaults, rather than having settings revert to something else.
(As I noted earlier, this was never an issue until I upgraded to Beowulf; in
Jessie, I got my settings right, then left it alone, and everything was
always fine.)

I have already tracked down the config file:

/home/<USER>/.trinity/share/config/kmixrc

-- but it doesn't seem to help. The config files in opt
(/opt/trinity/share/config.kcfg/) don't seem to do anything for me.

So how to preserve my mixer or sound system settings through reboots?

Bill