kmix - audacity - hiss & feedback when recording

Just wondering if anybody else here has encountered this problem, and what to
do about it.

When I play an instrument through kmix, I must enable loopback mixing, but
this creates a hiss in the speakers, which in turn tends to create
feedback -- in particular, when I plug in a hollow-body electric guitar.

This has only been a problem since I upgraded from Devuan Jessie. I used to
play through my computer speakers all the time, using them like a guitar
amplifier. (There is another device, a headphone amplifier, which I use as a
kind of pre-amp.) But otherwise, nothing in my setup has changed, except that
I have upgraded to Devuan Beowulf.

I would like to get rid of that hiss, and I don't remember having to enable
loopback mixing before. I have only recorded a little since upgrading (using
audacity), but it doesn't seem to affect recording quality too much, because
I plug headphones into my computer speakers, which eliminates both hiss &
feedback problems.

Sorry for the detailed presentation; feel free to snip. The main problem is
kmix-trinity, and whether anything has changed between Devuan Jessie and
Beowulf, namely, loopback mixing. Or have I somehow misconfigured it?

Bill