Re: kmix - audacity - hiss & feedback when recording

Anno domini 2020 Sun, 27 Dec 09:32:02 -0800
 William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> [...]
>
> Okay, so maybe an update on this issue is worth posting.
>
> After playing round with all my settings, I discovered that rear mic was
> enabled for input source. I didn't remember having changed this, but it's
> easy to correct. Once more I set my input source as line-in; also, I turned
> down the sound levels for these items. No more hiss, no more feedback, so the
> issue would seem to be resolved ... almost.
>
> I restarted kmix and alsamixer, and my settings were preserved; but after a
> reboot, the same problems arise again. Input source resets for rear mic
> instead of line-in, and the sound level is changed to 100% instead of 0%.
>
> The underlying issue -- why *something* keeps resetting to rear mic, and
> changing the sound level -- is the problem. I *believe* that, after
> restarting kmix and alsamixer, I ought to be able to preserve my chosen
> settings as defaults, rather than having settings revert to something else.
> (As I noted earlier, this was never an issue until I upgraded to Beowulf; in
> Jessie, I got my settings right, then left it alone, and everything was
> always fine.)
>
> I have already tracked down the config file:
>
> /home/<USER>/.trinity/share/config/kmixrc
>
> -- but it doesn't seem to help. The config files in opt
> (/opt/trinity/share/config.kcfg/) don't seem to do anything for me.
>
> So how to preserve my mixer or sound system settings through reboots?

I remember this problem popping up some years ago, when the "rise" of systemsd began - what a coincidence. Now I have to add some alsamixer lines with sane defaults to my /etc/rc.local that get executed in subshell with 1 minute delay, so they get applied after anything else. Once I had the great idea to save the sound settings every 10 minutes or so. Turned out to be one of the not so bright ideas, 'cause there are some programs that do bad things to sound settings and don't tell you about.

Nik