Re: kmix - audacity - hiss & feedback when recording

On Thursday 10 December 2020 13:06:05 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> hi Bill!
>
> Anno domini 2020 Thu, 10 Dec 12:47:09 -0800
>
>  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:
> > Just wondering if anybody else here has encountered this problem, and
> > what to do about it.
> >
> > When I play an instrument through kmix, I must enable loopback mixing,
> > but this creates a hiss in the speakers, which in turn tends to create
> > feedback -- in particular, when I plug in a hollow-body electric guitar.
> >
> > This has only been a problem since I upgraded from Devuan Jessie. I used
> > to play through my computer speakers all the time, using them like a
> > guitar amplifier. (There is another device, a headphone amplifier, which
> > I use as a kind of pre-amp.) But otherwise, nothing in my setup has
> > changed, except that I have upgraded to Devuan Beowulf.
> >
> > I would like to get rid of that hiss, and I don't remember having to
> > enable loopback mixing before. I have only recorded a little since
> > upgrading (using audacity), but it doesn't seem to affect recording
> > quality too much, because I plug headphones into my computer speakers,
> > which eliminates both hiss & feedback problems.
> >
> > Sorry for the detailed presentation; feel free to snip. The main problem
> > is kmix-trinity, and whether anything has changed between Devuan Jessie
> > and Beowulf, namely, loopback mixing. Or have I somehow misconfigured it?
> >
> > Bill
>
> If I recall correctly the loopbackdevice is connected internally to PCM,
> but not to the line-in-plugs. That hising is just noise. Please start
> alsamixer and play around with the controls, on some hardware you need to
> bring the sound devices into a "good" state before kmix can take over.
>
> Nik

Hail, Nik! Greetings from my hell of cacophony. I hate noise, unless I make it
myself, in which case I call it jazz.

Thanks for the tip on alsamixer. I don't know when last I looked at it. I've
played round with it a little, and it did help me to enable both channels on
surround (when the right channel was diminished for unknown reasons). I still
haven't figured out the source of the hiss, but I haven't gone through every
possible option yet.

If it worked before without the hiss, then it seems reasonable to expect that
I can restore those settings again. I'll report more, if I find anything
worth telling.

Bill