Re: Should commit abb139e75c2 about "kernel loading firmware directly from fs" be backported to stable trees ?

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:22:24PM +0200, Francis Moreau wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > There were even patches sent to the systemd mailing list to fix it,
> > and Kay refused to apply them. They were not complicated patches. They
> > were literally one-liners saying "if it's a firmware load event, just
> > do it immediately without serializing against other things, because
> > the things you may be serializing against may be the thing that wants
> > to load firmware!".
>
> I missed the fact that patch for udev exists:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006357.html
>
> Now I have 2 possibilites: either patch the kernel or udev but I'm not
> sure which path to follow. I would choose fixing the kernel since udev
> won't be fixed anyways but would be nice to have your opinion.
>
> Also v3.4 was out on 20/05/2012 whereas udev 182 was released on
> 18/03/2012. Therefore I don't think that it's unlikely to run an older
> kernel such as v3.4 with an affected udev. Actually I'm suprise that
> there have been no reports for it.
>
> I'm attaching a backport of your patch for 3.4. It was almost trivial,
> but I'm not sure about the modifications I did in
> firmware_free_data(), specially the condition to test if the firmware
> has been loaded by the kernel itself. I will test it tomorrow to check
> if I'm really affected by the udev bug, but whatever the result I
> think it's still an interesting issue to address.

Did you test this out and verify that it works properly for the
offending devices?

Is there any distro based on 3.4 that is using a broken version of udev
at the moment that this would help out with?

thanks,

greg k-h