Re: Should commit abb139e75c2 about "kernel loading firmware directly from fs" be backported to stable trees ?

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 09:55:01AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Given that udev also fixed the issue in newer versions, if someone is
> > wanting to run an older kernel with an updated udev, I would think they
> > would update to a newer version without this issue.
>
> What reality-distortion field does Kay have around you that you make
> that statement?
>
> udev never fixed the problem as far as I know. Certainly not before
> the kernel change, and after the kernel change Kay stepped up and
> asked that we do it entirely in the kernel and not bother udev at all.

I'm not going to argue that this shouldn't have been fixed in udev
sooner, nor that it was not a bug in udev, but it was eventually fixed,
as far as I can tell, with commit
ea6039a30929ff845859ed601594546d71894d84 (udev: allow firmware requests
to bypass the dependency tracking), which showed up in udev 195, which
was released October 23, 2012, well after 3.4.0.

And yes, it's good that we do the firmware loading in the kernel now.
If we need this patch in the 3.4 kernel tree, I'll gladly apply it, I've
just never heard a bug report about it before, especially from the
distros that were based on 3.4 (which seem to all have moved on from
that kernel, which is maybe why...)

> Seriously, Greg, you seem to have this huge blind spot when it comes
> to udev problems. You post denigrating posts on G+ about the forks,
> and something makes you have this very selective memory of what
> actually happens.

The eudev fork of udev I objected to on a number of other issues
(copyrights being stripped, builds broken, and an "official Gentoo
project status".)  All of those have now been resolved and I don't have
a problem with the fork at all.  Well, the builds still seem broken, but
as I don't have to maintain the project, I can live with that :)

And yes, I might have some huge blind spots about udev, it being my
"baby" and all, which we always look at if they are the best thing in
the world, despite them annoying the hell out of everyone else at times.
I try to be rational about it, but people are messy, full of feelings
and all that, no matter how hard I try to push them down and lock them
in the little box in my gut.

thanks,

greg "my gut needs to get smaller" k-h