Re: Should commit abb139e75c2 about "kernel loading firmware directly from fs" be backported to stable trees ?

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>      For older kernels, like 3.4, that version of udev should
> still work ok, but I can't remember where the problem started showing up
> so I could be totally wrong...

It was never kernel-related, it was an udev regression. So if somebody
is updating udev without updating the kernel... I forget which udev
version it would be that introduced the "wait synchronously for
firmware load", though. It was mentioned somewhere deep in that
thread.

The Fedora 17 problems with media driver firmware happened with
udev-182, and Francis is talking about 181, but I don't know if the
problem was _introduced_ in 182 or might affect the earlier 181
version too.

            Linus